If you are planning to buy a second hand vehicle, a quick and easy way to obtain important information prior to purchase is to get a Vehicle Information Package (VIP).
A VIP is a package of information issued by VicRoads that provides vehicle buyers with a detailed record (excluding private information) about any Victorian registered vehicle, giving potential buyers peace of mind and enabling them to make an informed purchase decision. A VIP provides the latest information recorded on VicRoads systems including
• Written-off vehicle damage reported for the vehicle, including the date, type and severity of damage where applicable
• Whether VicRoads has been notified that the vehicle is reported as being stolen
• Whether the registration is current, expired, suspended or cancelled
• The Vehicle Identification Number/chassis number and engine number
• The make, body type and year of manufacture
• The number of times the vehicle has been transferred, and the postcodes where it has been garaged within Victoria
• Whether any financial institution, enforcement agency or individual has a registered security interest over the vehicle.